J.E. Austin Associates’ work covers important development challenges in every region of the world. J.E. Austin Associates, Inc. (JAA) was founded in 1986 to focus on poverty reduction and sustainable, socially responsible economic growth for the purpose of assisting businesses, governments, non-profit organizations. Currently, our projects span across Ukraine, Moldova, Bosnia, Colombia, Guyana, Pakistan, Nigeria, Congo, Myanmar, Vietnam, and Egypt. Since our foundation, we have worked in over 127 countries in Europe, Africa, Asia, and Latin America. JAA’s technical expertise covers strategic planning, competitiveness, export growth, agribusiness, investment promotion, private sector development, financial analysis, and institutional strengthening. We are working to advise an incoming national government on their overall economic strategy and policy. We enable public-private dialogue between public, private, and civil society leaders.
JAA makes people think. We have developed a lot of intellectual property over the years, used both by other organizations in the industry and by major development banks and agencies around the world. We introduced national competitiveness initiatives to USAID in 1998. We wrote several influential World Bank publications that provided frameworks for international development practitioners. We like thinking outside the box and coming up with solutions to complex problems.
The Internship Opportunity: We currently have an opportunity for an intern to work in support of the project managers who oversee ongoing projects and business development endeavors. As an intern at JAA, you will have the opportunity to learn about technical and managerial work in international development; establish a familiarity with USAID, DoS, and World Bank procedures; and participate in the company’s mentor-matching program. J.E. Austin Associates is dedicated to crafting an experience that provides our interns with many kinds of opportunities relevant to a career in international economic development. This is a paid internship.
The internship is designed to give you broad exposure to multiple professional development areas and sharpen relevant skills:
- Assist with backstopping several international economic development projects, by providing administrative managerial support to field offices and overseas personnel on overseas travel.
- Assist project managers in recruiting, screening and fielding long and short-term expatriate staff and consultants.
- Assists with procurement of goods and services in the U.S.
- Edit and/or compile research and other data for technical reports.
- Assist Project managers as needed in maintaining systems for tracking proposals
- Regularly check relevant websites for upcoming projects and opportunities
- Prepare and organize inputs (such as reports on past projects and CVs) for proposals.
- Management of JAA website content.
- Assist with JAA’s social media presence.
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Special assignments outside of the tasks listed above may also be undertaken, including technical work and research assignments.
- Bachelor’s degree (or graduating in 2023) in business administration, economics, political science, international relations, or relevant field.
- Currently enrolled in a degree-earning program
- Candidates should demonstrate a strong interest in working in international development; interest in business strategy, agriculture/agribusiness and/or entrepreneurship is a plus.
- Strong organizational and administration skills.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Advanced PowerPoint or other presentation/ graphic design skills are a plus.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of the team.
- Proficiency in French, Spanish, and/or Arabic is strongly preferred.
- Fall Internship: Early September through late December. Must apply by August 15th
- Spring Internship: Mid-January through mid/end of May. Must apply by December 15th
- Summer Internship: Late May through early August. Must apply by May 5th
The internship is based out of our office in Arlington, VA. Compensation for the position is $20 per hour.
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit their resumes and a cover letter using the DEVEX application system: https://www.devex.com/jobs/intern-1061065
Opportunity: If you are a conscientious accounting professional with a desire to grow in your career and work in a dynamic company that has made a positive difference in people’s lives for over 36 years, we are ready to invest in you and your training to become a key part of J.E. Austin’s accounting team. You will be helping us help others and make an impact on global poverty reduction. J.E. Austin Associates has worked in 127 developing countries on projects that boost the incomes of people in developing countries. And you will be increasing your skills as an accounting and finance professional in the important U.S. Government contracting world. We are prepared to help train and support you. Are you the dedicated professional we are seeking? JE Austin Associates, Inc is an employer of equal opportunity committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, ancestry, marital status, genetic information, national origin, disability, or veteran status. JE Austin Associates, Inc is committed to providing all applicants and employees equal opportunities. It will make reasonable accommodations for a disability and sincerely held religious beliefs if they allow the individual to perform the job’s essential functions.
Job Description: Responsible for working with the Controller to ensure timely and accurate invoicing of clients monthly for 20-25 projects and for maintaining an accounts payable process meeting US Government Contracting regulations and good accounting practices.
Responsibilities: The following are essential tasks and other duties, and responsibilities may be assigned by Senior Management and/or the Controller:
1. Prepare fixed price, time and materials, and cost-reimbursable invoices, ensuring that all coding and backup documentation are correct.
2. Submit client invoices, including backup documentation, per client specifications.
3. Evaluate and identify internal control weaknesses over billings and accounts receivable, and establish and implement internal control improvements, as needed.
4. Maintain financial records in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), and Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR).
5. Contribute to team effort through close cooperation and support of other team members
6. Enter checks, wire transfers and cash receipts in Deltek Costpoint.
7. Support project accounting by home office and field office teams.
8. Prepare and enter accounts payable vouchers, review the company’s credit card statements, review employees’ expense reports for accuracy and compliance, and assist in weekly payments of accounts payable.
9. Assist the Business Development team with preparing the budget and budget notes for cost proposals and cross-check budget accuracy.
10. Work directly with Controller on daily matters and with senior and project managers as needed to resolve billing issues and ensure timely and error-free bill submissions.
11. Support Project Managers by quarterly analysis of budget expended vs. time expended
12. Assist Controller in comparing actual income and expenses vs. pro-forma budgets.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a similar discipline from an accredited institution
2. Four (4) years of relevant professional experience in accounting and invoicing
3. U.S. citizen and/or Green Card Holder able to work legally in the USA
4. Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications with emphasis in Word, Excel, Outlook, and online search engines required
5. Experience with Deltek Costpoint preferred or able to quickly master new system
6. Familiarity with government contracting
7. Familiarity with Department of Labor requirements (helpful but not required)
8. Familiarity with the Federal Acquisition Regulation FAR), AID Acquisition Regulations (AIDAR), and Cost Accounting Standards preferred but not required
9. Ability to handle multiple tasks and multiple projects under deadlines and able to pivot among priorities that are either higher in importance or more time urgent
10. Highly organized and detail-oriented with a passion for accuracy
11. Professional demeanor, actions, and attitude toward colleagues and external clients
12. Able to solve problems, analyze issues before reporting problems to the Controller
13. Comfortable working in a small company team-oriented environment
14. Strong project management and multi-tasking skills
15. Ability to remain organized, collaborative, and effective in a fast-paced environment
16. Able to communicate compliance requirements to Project Managers and Field Staff, especially related to time sheets, travel expenses and procurements
Job Type and Salary: Full-time, salaried position starting at market rate per employee’s salary history with immediate 5% over current employee’s salary within a range of $55K-$90 per seniority and performance.
Health, Vision and Dental Insurance (75% paid by company)
Pension contributions through 401(k)
10 Paid Holidays, 15 Days Paid Personal Time Off (PTO)
Student Loan Repayment Assistance of $200 per month.
This position is currently a hybrid-remote position able to accommodate working from home for most of the time but with an expectation of weekly or periodic meetings for training, team-building, or coordinating with other employees. This salaried position assumes an 8-hour workday Monday-Friday during normal working hours with occasional needs for work after 6 pm or on weekends during deadline periods. The work location when not remote is based in the greater Washington DC Metro area and specifically in Arlington, Virginia near the Orange and Silver Lines.
Please apply via Devex:
J.E. Austin Associates, Inc. is a pre-approved, federally qualified vendor on the government-wide General Services Administration (GSA) Schedule Multiple Award Schedule (MAS) for Special Item Number (SIN) 541611.
PRIME CONTRACTOR: Tetra Tech ARD
PROJECT LENGTH: 2019-2024
The goal of FEWS NET 7 is to sustainably prevent food insecurity and famine. The goal of FEWS NET 7 is to sustainably prevent food insecurity and famine. FEWS NET 7 is structured around four main pillars of activities:
Pillar 1: Emergency Food Insecurity Analysis
Pillar 2: Management of a FEWS NET Learning and Data Hub (restricted to Small Business set-aside)
Pillar 3: Analysis of the Dynamics of Food, Nutrition and Livelihood Security
Pillar 4: Technology and Innovation
JAA contributes to the Pillar 3 team’s work of deepening the understanding of the causes of persistent or recurrent food insecurity, hunger, malnutrition, vulnerability to food insecurity, and lack of resilience. Our team will build on FEWS NET’s experience with livelihood development, markets, agro-climatology, nutrition, and other physical and socio-economic phenomena – including gender and intra-household dynamics by developing more effective tools and methods to creating and building sustainable local capacities to understand and address the root causes of food insecurity and vulnerability to food insecurity.
PRIME CONTRACTOR: Nathan Associates, Inc.
PROJECT LENGTH: 2020-2025
J.E. Austin Associates, Inc. (JAA) is a part of the Nathan Associates, Inc. consortium for the USAID Transparency and Inclusive Growth (TIGA) Activity under the PFM IDIQ. JAA provides policy analysis support to the activity which aims to mitigate the economic causes of conflict and inequality in Burma.
PRIME CONTRACTOR: RTI International
PROJECT LENGTH: 2020-2025
J.E. Austin Associates, Inc. (JAA) is working with RTI International on the USAID/Kenya and East Africa Regional Integration and Stronger Economies (RISE) IDIQ. JAA provides expertise in private sector development, competitiveness, value chain development and strengthening, entrepreneurship, business enabling environment, economic policy, and political economy analysis.
PRIME CONTRACTOR: Panagora Group
PROJECT LENGTH: 2020-2025
J.E. Austin Associates, Inc. (JAA) supports the Panagora Group’s consortium for the EVAL-ME II IDIQ by providing expertise in performance monitoring and evaluation support services in areas related to economic growth, agriculture, trade, and entrepreneurship.