J.E. Austin Associates’ work covers important development challenges in every region of the world. J.E. Austin Associates, Inc. (JAA) was founded in 1986 to focus on poverty reduction and sustainable, socially responsible economic growth for the purpose of assisting businesses, governments, non-profit organizations. Currently, our projects span across Ukraine, Moldova, Bosnia, Colombia, Guyana, Pakistan, Nigeria, Congo, Myanmar, Vietnam, and Egypt. Since our foundation, we have worked in over 127 countries in Europe, Africa, Asia, and Latin America. JAA’s technical expertise covers strategic planning, competitiveness, export growth, agribusiness, investment promotion, private sector development, financial analysis, and institutional strengthening. We are working to advise an incoming national government on their overall economic strategy and policy. We enable public-private dialogue between public, private, and civil society leaders.
JAA makes people think. We have developed a lot of intellectual property over the years, used both by other organizations in the industry and by major development banks and agencies around the world. We introduced national competitiveness initiatives to USAID in 1998. We wrote several influential World Bank publications that provided frameworks for international development practitioners. We like thinking outside the box and coming up with solutions to complex problems.
The Internship Opportunity: We currently have an opportunity for an intern to work in support of the project managers who oversee ongoing projects and business development endeavors. As an intern at JAA, you will have the opportunity to learn about technical and managerial work in international development; establish a familiarity with USAID, DoS, and World Bank procedures; and participate in the company’s mentor-matching program. J.E. Austin Associates is dedicated to crafting an experience that provides our interns with many kinds of opportunities relevant to a career in international economic development. This is a paid internship.
The internship is designed to give you broad exposure to multiple professional development areas and sharpen relevant skills:
- Assist with backstopping several international economic development projects, by providing administrative managerial support to field offices and overseas personnel on overseas travel.
- Assist project managers in recruiting, screening and fielding long and short-term expatriate staff and consultants.
- Assists with procurement of goods and services in the U.S.
- Edit and/or compile research and other data for technical reports.
- Assist Project managers as needed in maintaining systems for tracking proposals
- Regularly check relevant websites for upcoming projects and opportunities
- Prepare and organize inputs (such as reports on past projects and CVs) for proposals.
- Management of JAA website content.
- Assist with JAA’s social media presence.
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Special assignments outside of the tasks listed above may also be undertaken, including technical work and research assignments.
- Bachelor’s degree (or graduating in 2023) in business administration, economics, political science, international relations, or relevant field.
- Currently enrolled in a degree-earning program
- Candidates should demonstrate a strong interest in working in international development; interest in business strategy, agriculture/agribusiness and/or entrepreneurship is a plus.
- Strong organizational and administration skills.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Advanced PowerPoint or other presentation/ graphic design skills are a plus.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of the team.
- Proficiency in French, Spanish, and/or Arabic is strongly preferred.
- Fall Internship: Early September through late December. Must apply by August 15th
- Spring Internship: Mid-January through mid/end of May. Must apply by December 15th
- Summer Internship: Late May through early August. Must apply by May 5th
The internship is based out of our office in Arlington, VA. Compensation for the position is $20 per hour.
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit their resumes and a cover letter using the DEVEX application system: https://www.devex.com/jobs/intern-1061065
J.E. Austin Associates, Inc. is a pre-approved, federally qualified vendor on the government-wide General Services Administration (GSA) Schedule Multiple Award Schedule (MAS) for Special Item Number (SIN) 541611.
PRIME CONTRACTOR: Tetra Tech ARD
PROJECT LENGTH: 2019-2024
The goal of FEWS NET 7 is to sustainably prevent food insecurity and famine. The goal of FEWS NET 7 is to sustainably prevent food insecurity and famine. FEWS NET 7 is structured around four main pillars of activities:
Pillar 1: Emergency Food Insecurity Analysis
Pillar 2: Management of a FEWS NET Learning and Data Hub (restricted to Small Business set-aside)
Pillar 3: Analysis of the Dynamics of Food, Nutrition and Livelihood Security
Pillar 4: Technology and Innovation
JAA contributes to the Pillar 3 team’s work of deepening the understanding of the causes of persistent or recurrent food insecurity, hunger, malnutrition, vulnerability to food insecurity, and lack of resilience. Our team will build on FEWS NET’s experience with livelihood development, markets, agro-climatology, nutrition, and other physical and socio-economic phenomena – including gender and intra-household dynamics by developing more effective tools and methods to creating and building sustainable local capacities to understand and address the root causes of food insecurity and vulnerability to food insecurity.
PRIME CONTRACTOR: Nathan Associates, Inc.
PROJECT LENGTH: 2020-2025
J.E. Austin Associates, Inc. (JAA) is a part of the Nathan Associates, Inc. consortium for the USAID Transparency and Inclusive Growth (TIGA) Activity under the PFM IDIQ. JAA provides policy analysis support to the activity which aims to mitigate the economic causes of conflict and inequality in Burma.
PRIME CONTRACTOR: RTI International
PROJECT LENGTH: 2020-2025
J.E. Austin Associates, Inc. (JAA) is working with RTI International on the USAID/Kenya and East Africa Regional Integration and Stronger Economies (RISE) IDIQ. JAA provides expertise in private sector development, competitiveness, value chain development and strengthening, entrepreneurship, business enabling environment, economic policy, and political economy analysis.
PRIME CONTRACTOR: Panagora Group
PROJECT LENGTH: 2020-2025
J.E. Austin Associates, Inc. (JAA) supports the Panagora Group’s consortium for the EVAL-ME II IDIQ by providing expertise in performance monitoring and evaluation support services in areas related to economic growth, agriculture, trade, and entrepreneurship.